Thursday, May 14, 2015
Serial Podcast Subreddit Survey Results
So here are the results of a survey I put up for serial fans on https://www.reddit.com/r/serialpodcast/ . Because it was a free account, I can't export the raw data into excel for analysis and I haven't had time to do in manually. And of course all of this has to be taken with the caveat that it is a self selected group of poll takers from a small group and totally non-random. But some quick thinks that jumped out at me:
1) Gender disparity. 65% female to 35% male. I'm guessing that's far off general reddit breakdown, but maybe reflects the Serial audience demographic. In any case, it's a big difference which I can't explain.
2) Age skewed a a lttle younger than I would have guessed, but that may be more reflective of reddit and serial's general listening audience.
3) Super white dominated at 81%.
4) Less than 50% of repondents believe Adnan's guilty. The rest believe innocent of undecided. This is very different from my impression from reading comments. And that indicate to me that the guilters are just far more outspoken and strident. They attack others, downvote and likely push people to stop commenting if they believe Adnan might not be guilty.
5) If you look at who thinks the State met the beyond a reasonable doubt burden of proof, the difference is even more clear. Only 34% thinkg the State proved their case vs 66% who thing it did not.
I'll update when I have time to manually export the data to excel.